About the Program
The Florida Teacher Trucking Tour is sponsored by the Florida Trucking Association and is designed to give professional educators an inside look at how this vital industry works, its unique challenges, and its integral contributions to our state/national economy and daily life. With this information, educators at all grade levels will be better informed about the complexities of the nation’s most-used freight/logistics mode and the career opportunities that our industry offers to Florida’s students.
The aim for this program is to immerse a small set of Florida teachers (elementary, middle, high) in an intensive, week-long tour of the trucking industry, and then engage them to write lesson plans aligned to Florida Standards that incorporate trucking imagery, concepts, information, statistics, etc. into the class-room conversation.
This workshop will be held over a 4.5-day period. Each participant will take part in a multi-day tour of various types of trucking facilities and companies, as well as expert-led discussion and top-line information the trucking/logistics industry.
- How freight gets from manufacture to consumers’ homes
- Safety systems, practices and technologies
- Component systems such as tires, brakes, refrigeration units, etc.
- How trucking is an integral part of the overall American logistics and economic system
- Critical tips for “Sharing the Road Safely” with commercial vehicles
- Exciting tours of company facilities, such as UPS, Florida Rock & Tank Lines, JAX Port, and more!
Download the 2017 application
View photos from the 2017 tour
Photos from Recent Teacher Tours
Tour Components and Qualifications
Education professionals get many benefits from participating in the Tour:
- $1,000 stipend
- 5 days’ lodging
- All meals and transportation during tour
- Special invitations to receptions and educational sessions during tour
- Free reference materials for the classroom
- Priority scheduling for Florida Road Team presentations for their students/school
- Access to lesson plans and visual aids for classroom use
To qualify for the Tour, teachers must:
- Be currently certified to teach K-12 education in the state of Florida
- Be actively teaching in the classroom or in Florida Virtual School at the time of application and for the following school year
- Have at least one year of teaching experience
- Be available to attend a 5-day onsite Tour in a specified area of the state and participate in the Tour of facilities and receptions, meetings
During the Tour, teachers:
- Participate in onsite tours of various types of logistics/trucking operations
- Attend educational sessions from industry representatives
- Write two lesson plans for use in their classroom that feature trucking imagery, examples, or facts as illustrations for instruction
- Meet industry professionals including trucking company owners, senior managers, professional drivers, equipment manufacturer representatives, regulatory agency officials and more
2018 Tour application coming in January
Resources Developed for Teachers
Browse and download our free resources developed for classroom use. These include videos, lesson plans (elementary, middle and high school options) and more!
Request information on the Teachers' Tour
Call (850) 222-9900 or complete our form below: