American Logistics Aid Network (ALAN) Update
Today ALAN began monitoring Tropical Depression 16 in the southern Gulf of Mexico. This disturbance is anticipated to become a fast moving hurricane and make landfall on the US Gulf Coast over the weekend.
We also participated in a number of conversations regarding unsolicited donations. With logistics capacity already constrained, these well meaning donations are competing for ground, air, and ocean assets. ALAN encourages financial donations to a charity which aligns with your interests. National VOAD members focus on different areas, and are our primary non-profit partners for disaster support.
If you’ve already collected supplies but don’t know where to send them, you may offer them to National VOAD and select which disaster you’d like your donation to support: https://www.nvoad.org/howtohelp/donate/
You can also offer directly to the 501(c)(3) in Puerto Rico, Unidos for Puerto Rico (United for Puerto Rico). http://unidosporpuertorico.com/en/ 833-UNIDOPR or 787-300-2796
Please refer to their guidance regarding how best to help survivors.
Tonight’s top takeaways from the non-profit and business supply chain coordination calls:
- Airlink and LIFT are sending a plane of non-profit humanitarian supplies to Puerto Rico on Thursday 10/5. The items are for various non-profit organizations to be for their distribution and response efforts.
- ALAN, LIFT , and MIT’s Humanitarian Response Lab continue to host a daily private sector supply chain coordination call for Hurricane Maria. To request access to this call, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. The group serves as a forum for business collaboration, information and resource sharing, and problem identification and resolution. The group has raised a number of issues critical to resumption of efficient supply chain activities, including:
- Access to a consolidated view of available housing / transportation for personnel – considering both traditional and non-traditional sources.
- How to register for Disaster Assistance without internet / phone.
- Plan for priorities of restoration for power/communications/water/etc.?
- Fuel – a list of fuel distributors was posted to the NBEOC dashboard.
LIFT is continuing to match cargo with logistics capacity, utilizing all modes. Businesses who need to request shipping support may do so at http://alanaid.org/prship
A reminder on how to request and offer support:
- Non-profit / VOAD members enter your needs here: http://alanaid.org/request-support/
- Businesses and individuals, our current needs are listed here: http://alanaid.org/logistics-map , If you wish to offer support, you can do so here: http://alanaid.org/how-to-help/offerinkind
DHS and FEMA are holding a daily private sector coordination call at 3 PM Eastern. Dial-in number and participant passcode/pin: Dial-In #: 800-324-5531 pin: 798364 NBEOC Operations Dashboard: https://fema.connectsolutions.com/maria2017
Looking for something you saw in a previous report? Check our website: www.alanaid.org/sitreps. Please help us share important messaging about our activities. Follow us on Twitter, Like Us on Facebook, Follow us on LinkedIn.
ALAN is a 501(c)(3) organization which relies upon the generosity of individuals and businesses to conduct our operations. We never charge a fee for any of our disaster relief coordination activities or information referral services. Your donations are greatly appreciated, and may be made online.