Interstate truck and bus drivers will soon be prohibited from using handheld cell phones while operating their vehicles, under a final joint rule announced Nov. 23 from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration. Here’s a synopsis of key points:
- Ruling is for commercial vehicles with gross vehicle weight/weight rating of 26,001 lbs or greater.
- Driver fines could be up to $2750 and employer fines up to $11,000
- Ruling affects interstate commerce, not intrastate commerce
- Ruling goes into effect in January 3, 2012
- Florida could follow suit and extend the ban to intrastate commerce